Page Buttons

Home About Me Food Sponsor Blog Love

Thursday, August 30, 2012

August Flea Market Finds

This past weekend was the Nashville Flea Market. This is one of my favorite events and I try to make it each month. I think I'll start out with what I didn't purchase.


This is a black velvet painting of Stevie Wonder. I was so horrified/confused by this that I totally forgot to ask the price. I have a tad bit of regret for not picking this beauty up. I mean, it's so super strange. I hope someone that appreciates this snagged it up.


I love this 1970s tin cake plate. The crazy floral pattern is really my style. But my kitchen counter is really full and I would have no place to display this beauty. Also, my cakes never last long enough to require special storage.

 

This little fellow is Doolittle and belongs to one of the guys that I regularly buy stuff from. Doolittle is a really friendly guy and he just spends the day chilling on a display case of knives.  I'm really loving the DERP Doolittle is giving me in this picture.


Now lets start with the goodies that I did take home. I've been collecting animal skulls for around a year now and I always find some good options at the flea. Usually they are overpriced, but occasionally you find something in your budget that is in good condition. This little feller will be joining the 3 other ones on the wall about my TV soon.


I cannot resist cheesy cat art. This piece set me back a whopping $3 and it was worth it. I love how demure and proper this lady is. I have to find a nice spot at eye level to hang her.


More state travel plates! I've been gobbling these up lately. I have a plan to cover a blank wall in my kitchen with a whole bunch of these. Since they are pretty cheap, our collection is growing rapidly. In a few more months I may have enough to start putting them up!


And finally the piece that I am most proud of, Prince. I've always been iffy on taxidermy animals. Something about them being really life-like freaks me out. But I guess through collecting skulls I've warmed up to the idea and finally broke down and purchased this dude. He is in great condition and I got him for a song. Steve wasn't quite so keen at first, but I think he will learn to love Prince.

We gave prince a place of honor above the couch.  I think he will enjoy his new home. Let's just hope he likes the same shows as me.

13 comments:

  1. awesome finds - i'm in love with doolittle the dog! total cutie

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  2. That flea market looks fun. I love all that bright green 70s stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the cat portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that stevie portrait o__0 woahhh! and i always try to convince myself i need a cake tin. when i see a pretty one i'm like "well what if i have to, you know, take a cake to someone *else's* house?" but then practical me kicks in and i never get one. anyway, totally jealous of Prince!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be afraid to leave it at someones house! It's too cute to let out of my sight!

      Delete
  5. woo hoo for a fellow Nashville blogger! I hit up the Flea market for the first time ever... and came home with a camo jacket! Loving your little plate collection... such a great idea!
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Love to meet other Nashville bloggers! So happy you had success at your first Flea!

      Delete
  6. My dishware primarily consists of state and church plates! Those are beauties.

    And I'm loving the fact that you can find great stuff at the flea market. I always end up going home empty handed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever feel like making a trip to Nashville I'll be your second set of eyes!

      Delete
  7. Oh that cake tin is lovely! Love the cat painting too, you have great taste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that cake tin! The floral print on it is amazing. Such great finds! Love your blog. :)
    Gypsybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh deer.... Head.

    I am actually a longbow hunter and hope to acquire my own someday this fall.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips