Page Buttons

Home About Me Food Sponsor Blog Love

Friday, February 15, 2013

Nashville Food Friday: Sonobana

I'm a sushi girl. If I had to eat one meal every night for the rest of my life, I would pick sushi. It is the ultimate comfort food, leaving you happy and full. And because sushi is relatively healthy, you don't get all that food guilt if you ate, let's say, mac and cheese. Living in a land-locked state like Tennessee, you would expect that our sushi options are quite limited, but you would be wrong. I was skeptical myself at first, coming from New York and Boston where the fish is fresh off the boat and there is an abundance of talented sushi chefs. So I tried a bunch of sushi places around town, some good, some terrible, some mediocre. But the one that I enjoy the most is Sonobana. It reminds me of my sushi joint back in New York. Everything is fresh and they have a mixture of traditional rolls and some very creative ones. Also, what I enjoy the most is their variety of traditional Japanese appetizers and non-sushi entrees.
 sushi at Sonobana located in Nashville Tennessee
The signature roll at Sonobana is the Cherry Bomb. It is a pretty traditional shrimp, cream cheese and avocado roll with a maraschino cherry thrown in. I know that sounds pretty bizarre, but it really is a delicious combination. I have convinced many a skeptic to try this roll and all have been pleased.
 sushi at Sonobana located in Nashville Tennessee
The photo above was a special roll that Steve ordered, but right now the name escapes me. It had crab, salmon and avocado and was deep fried tempura style. It even came with the traditional tempura dipping sauce and some good steamed veggies. This roll was way more than what we were expecting from the description on the menu.
 sushi at Sonobana located in Nashville Tennessee
One of the other things I really like about Sonobana is that they offer a good variety of rolls without rice and a nice variety of shashimi. Since I eat paleo most of the time, I like having the option of not eating rice, and that is much easier to do at Sonobana than at other sushi places I have tried. My favorite is the White Bridge roll which has tuna, salmon, egg, crab, and some mint rolled in radish. This roll is very fresh tasting. The other rice-less roll is the Big John #1 (be careful if you're eating paleo, because #2 has rice!). It has eel, avocado, and roe rolled in cucumber. 

And as an added bonus, Sonobana has a small Japanese market attached. So after you stuff yourself silly with sushi, you can go next door and pick up some Japanese candy, some manga, or a video!

Sonobana Japanese on Urbanspoon

13 comments:

  1. Oh I must try this! I've been wanting a really tasty sushi place to try and just didn't know where to start.

    Xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always ask me for food recommendations! I've probably eate at most sushi places in the area :)

      Delete
  2. i have only tried sushi twice, a few years ago, and didn't like it. but now that i've changed my diet, i need to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh! Do you want to go for sushi together? I'm sure you would like it!

      Delete
  3. I love any roll that involves avacado or cucumber. I love sushi and my favorite is seaweed salad which looks disgusting but tastes incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seaweed salad too! I normally order that and traditional pickles. :)

      Delete
  4. Ohh I'll have to check that out next time I'm up there. I love sushi, but I want to check out the market more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably get a kick out of the market! We do have a really big Asian market called K&S which has TONS of food. I think you should swing by that as well!

      Delete
  5. LOVE Sonobana. I feel like I've never ordered anything there that was like "Why! Why did I try to get something other than my usual!" because it's ALL good. I use their market all the time to get little stocking stuffers/birthday card side presents with a little more cheery graphic packaging "oomph" (Anpanman cookies to the rescue!) :) I want to try their riceless rolls, now that I know those are an option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your usual there? Perhaps your usual is my unusual.

      Delete
  6. YES! Their cherry bomb is so weirdly tasty. I think the Rebecca roll is my favorite, though. Guilt-wise, it's the sushi equivalent of mac and cheese, but it's SO GOOD!

    I know you're not so into rice, but do you know if they have fresh onigiri at the market? It's not listed on their website, but I figure that doesn't mean it isn't there. The thing I miss most from Los Angeles, I think, is being able to get fresh onigiri at the market around the corner. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I don't believe I have seen them there. If they have them at all, they would probably be frozen. Does K&S have them?

      Delete

Blogging tips