Page Buttons

Home About Me Food Sponsor Blog Love

Monday, April 22, 2013

Ahoy! (I made this skirt)

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a nice weekend and got to enjoy this lovely weather. This weekend was pretty much perfect. Nice, but not too hot and there are no bugs out yet. I like spring/summer up until the mosquitoes start popping out and biting me all over. I'm a magnet for them. I can be outside with a bunch of friends and I'll be the only person to get bitten. Means I'm made of sugar, right?
On Saturday I had my last long run before the half marathon next week. We ran 8 miles of the actual course and I'm feeling really good for race day. After running I met up with some of my favorite ladies for a craft-sewing-extravaganza (Lladybird Lauren, Jen, Jenna, Sarah and Aubrey). I'm working on my first ever dress (SQUEE!). I also made my first ever muslin Friday night and I was super giddy. I feel like I'm learning so much- but it's mostly because Lladybird Lauren is an amazing friend and talented teacher. She is my sewing zen master. On Sunday Steve and I headed to Cheekwood botanical garden for a much needed day of quality time. It was possibly the best day ever.
SO HOW ABOUT THIS SKIRT?! It's the Miette skirt from Tilly and the Buttons. I First saw this skirt when Lladybird Lauren showed up for lunch wearing her version. When she told me that I COULD MAKE IT myself I downloaded the pattern and got to planning. This is an excellent beginner skirt because you don't have to fiddle with zippers or buttons. Plus, it is the best type of wrap skirt, one with a back flap, so there is no chance of accidental flashing. I highly recommend this pattern (and Tilly's blog overall) for someone who wants to start sewing garments. I mean, I'm a beginner and I think mine came out pretty fancy.
I opted to go with a nautical theme for this skirt. I had this really pretty blue cotton and one yard of this little red, white, and blue anchor pattern. I decided to make the pockets with the fun loud pattern to give the skirt some pizazz. (Do people even say pizazz anymore?) The whole thing took me about a week (on & off) to finish. I'm pretty sure I could have knocked it out in one afternoon if I had a nice block of time.
Did you know there is a fake seaside dock in Nashville? Apparently up in Metrocenter there is! Steve found it while he was wandering around during my race last weekend. A perfect spot for some maritime pictures. But this place can't even touch any of the beaches back home on Long Island.
 Skirt: Made By Me/Miette pattern
Top: Forever 21
Shoes: Old Brown Boots
Necklace: Bestsey Johnson
Scarf: Grandma's

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I can't wait to see how your cute felt toy comes out!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I bought the Miette pattern. It's just too wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Can we bring back pizazz? I'm definitely going to try to slip it into a post this week. I love this skirt, the fabric of the pockets is amazing! I thought I recognized it when I saw the first photo as well - Tilly's blog is lovely and I was so excited watching her on The Great British Sewing Bee. You're look fantastic xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was able to watch that show! All the sewing bloggers are talking about it and I'm out of the loop.

      PIZZAZ

      Delete
  3. That skirt is so cute! I'm a mosquito magnet too, so I'm totally feeling this pre-bug, summery weather...wish it could last all season!! Hume Fogg (the high school I went to) actually had prom at one of those buildings in Metro Center that back up to the dock...it was weird driving by it in the daytime but very pretty at night. Good luck on your dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has cool stories about Metro Center. I feel like I missed out on its heyday. I went there once to register my car and another time to bitch at comcast.

      Metro center, not cool anymore.

      Delete
  4. I've definitely been to that fake dock many times as a kid. That area used to be called fountain square and it used to be bumpin! Skirt is adorable too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmie. I went on a Sunday and the place was deserted.

      There was one man fishing.

      Delete
  5. It looks so darling! I've been thinking about making this skirt since I'm trying to get back into sewing and really do it this time. You did a grand job!

    xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I highly recommend this pattern. It was so easy to follow especially with her online sew-along.

      DO IT

      Delete
  6. I have a weakness for all things nautical. You did a great job with the skirt!

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, the skirt looks amazing! I love that it's a wrap, and has those sweatshirt style pockets. It looks so comfortable, and with that bit of length and everything you're at no risk of accidentally flashing anybody, haha! The necklace is totally perfect, too! I have a Betsey Johnson anchor bracelet (which I'm clearly going to have to wear with my own sailor themed outfit :P) girl after my own heart!

    --Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how this skirt came out, you did an amazing job with it. I like the nautical theme with it as well. Plus you can never go wrong with boots!
    Botanical gardens <3 They really are my obsession I could spend hours inside of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the gardens were lovely! I'll have some pictures from that soon I promise!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to see your dress!!! The fabric was adorable. Blogger meetup was super fun.

    We need to go run together sometime, but your distances are way longer than I can handle right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'll be in recovery for a while so shorter distances are totally fine by me! Let me know when ever you are on the East side!

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! Love the striking pockets.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips