Page Buttons

Home About Me Food Sponsor Blog Love

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston, You're My Home





Source


I spent a good chunk of my adolescence in Boston. I went to college there and lived there for a year after. The city was historic, cold, and grumpy and I loved it dearly. I loved my Porter Square neighborhood despite the fact that I was miles away from a supermarket and I didn't have a car. I even loved the way people would put lawn chairs in the parking spaces they dug out from a blizzard. Yesterday's tragic events at the most historic marathon hit me hard. This was my city- I know Copley Square so well, I even worked in one of the buildings along the race route. This was also my sport- I'm a runner. I'm not elite and I've never run anything longer than a half-marathon, but still, these are my people.
Source
I'll be running the Music City Half-Marathon in two weeks. Yesterday I was supposed to go on a training run with my friend, but I just couldn't do it. My heart wasn't in it and lacing up my shoes felt strange. I opted to go home and watch the news instead. But much like the city of Boston itself, I need to be surly and resilient. I need to put on my shoes and go running. Every runner needs to get out there and run with Boston in their hearts. Run with all the innocent spectators and participants in their minds, taking them along with you at every step.
Adam, Me, Matt and Rachel- Senior year of college cruise along the Charles River

Boston, I love you. You gave me the best college experience and the best friends a girl could ask for. Buzzfeed has a really good list of reasons why you should love Boston. I highly recommend reading it. 

6 comments:

  1. One of the first thoughts that popped into my head when I heard the news, was you, I remembered you mentioning Boston before and obviously know you're a runner, so I was hoping that you weren't there...glad to know you're safe! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl. I'm not up to full marathons just yet.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, Lauren. Boston is certainly feeling the love and we are definitely surly and resilient. (I also live down the street from the Middle East!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU LIVE BY THE MIDDLE EAST?! OMG, Inman?! Where?

      I always wanted to live closer to the party.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry your city was attacked like that. It's terrible. Keep on running girl! Good luck at the marathon!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips