Page Buttons

Home About Me Food Sponsor Blog Love

Friday, November 30, 2012

Food Friday, Asheville Edition: Early Girl Eatery

A few weeks ago I put a call out for suggestions on things to do and places to eat in Asheville, North Carolina. And the Internet came through! A special shout out for the lovely suggestions provided by Kate D., Lauren W. and Jennifer. We were only in town for two days and had so many things on our lists! What we did do a lot of was eating. When asked where to go for food, nearly everyone we spoke to (including Steve's parents) told us to go to Early Girl. When one place is recommended that frequently, I just have to check it out!
Early Girl was our first stop after we checked into our lovely AirBNB home. It was lunchtime and I wanted to head downtown. When we checked-in with the hostess we were told there would be an hour to hour & fifteen minute wait but we should check back in 45 minutes. That is a long wait but I was expecting it from all the recommendations. So Steve and I wandered around the Grove Arcade until 45 minutes had passed. We checked back in with Hostess and were seated in 10 minutes. I hate waiting but I love when restaurants give you accurate wait times, and the staff at Early Girl was polite and helpful. This lunch was off to a lovely start!
Of course being in Asheville Steve had to try some local beer. I was so sick with a cold that the idea of alcohol was unappealing so I stuck to water. Steve is a fan of Highland Brewing Company and really enjoyed their Gaelic Ale.
This jam was on our table and I loved it. My dish came with a fresh biscuit and I put butter and jam all over that thing. I've only started enjoying jams in the past two years and it's opened my eyes to all the amazing things that I can put on a biscuit (besides butter).
While I was ready for lunch, Steve wanted some breakfast so he opted to order off the breakfast anytime section of the menu. He ordered the Porky Breakfast Bowl which contains, "Homefries, BBQ pork, scrambled eggs and farmstead cheese smothered in Benton’s smoky bacon gravy." It was pure pork heaven in a plate! That Benton's Bacon gravy was to die for and the pulled pork had a great smoke flavor and a good texture. I think I might have to order this myself next time. 
I wanted to have a more traditional lunch so opted for the Early Girl's fresh take on meat + 2 where you choose one protein, two sides and you get a bonus biscuit. For my meat I chose the local mountain trout with pecan butter. The fish was cooked to perfection and the sauce was very light and not overpowering. This might be the healthiest meat + 2 I have ever had. For my sides I chose the honeyed beets and candied yams. I love beets and this was a great dish for me. I even tried to replicate this myself when I came home (Beets+Honey+Orange Juice=YES!). I was super happy with my choice and I felt great after. I was ready to take on downtown Asheville!
I can see why everyone recommends Early Girl. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is pleasant. There were lots of really cute paintings by a local artists around the restaurant. I love that we sat at a table next to a big window overlooking the busy street below. But the shining star is the food, as it always should be. Their healthy farm-to-table take on southern food is a sure winner.

Early Girl Eatery on Urbanspoon

12 comments:

  1. Ooohh, I see if I ever manage my dream roadtrip across the southern US, I am going to have to eat meat for the trip to really properly enjoy myself! Looks yummy. And I love that picture of you, it's super cute that you and the cat are wearing the same specs. I love the shade of the lipstick too! What shade/brand is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. When I traveled through Europe during college I put being vegetarian on the backburner for a while. There were so many delicious things to try- and for some reason Spain thought chicken was vegetarian.

      The lipstick is from Sephora. It is the store brand's lip stain. The color doesn't have a name but it says 01 on the bottom of the bottle. It is the brightest red they offer. I LOVE IT.

      Delete
  2. ***Drool!**** And you are so pretty! I love that sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww. You are so kind. I put on tons of make-up that morning because I was very sick and felt like death. If I was going to feel crummy- I'll do it looking good.

      Delete
  3. oh! one of my favorites. we're spending NYE in AVL and can.not.WAIT. early girl is definitely on the revisit list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh! Awesome! Do you have a place to stay- because I highly recommend the AirBNB place we used. Ung.... I want to go back already.

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :D And you look uh-may-zing as always...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That breakfast bowl looks amazing! And that sweater is just too cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! I wear this sweater all the time. I feel like when I should by a back up for when I ruin this one!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the beet inspiration - love them :3! I would totally try to recreate that meal too, sounds like delicious nutritious perfection! The sweater is so cute on you - that photo is art! lol :)

    Megan
    http://kiddotv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beets were super easy to make! I just boiled them until tender and added honey and some orange juice!

      Delete

Blogging tips