Page Buttons

Home About Me Food Sponsor Blog Love

Friday, July 20, 2012

Food Friday: My Mom's House

This post is more like bragging than a regular review. My Mom is the most amazing cook and she inspired my love of food. Growing up I took her talents for granted. I expected a delicious, home cooked meal every night and just thought that it magically appeared on the table about 7 right before Jeopardy. I took very little interest in learning my Mom's secrets while I was young and lived at home. The kitchen was her area and I didn't need to interfere. But after college when I was left to feed myself I realized that making delicious foods daily was a very hard task. I didn't want to eat crap- I wanted what I was used to. Desiring good food and being 4 hours away from home prompted me to start cooking. My Mom was an amazing resource in my culinary journey. She was always available to talk through recipes with me, to give me tips, and to email me her favorites. Over the years I have gotten better, but I still cannot hold a candle to my Mom. When I come back home for visits I have a strong appreciation for everything she does in the kitchen. I realize how much talent and passion it takes to put together a family meal. My Mom shows her love through food, and I couldn't be more grateful for that.

Below are some pictures of the wonderful stuff my Mom whipped up while we were in town last week. I feel horribly spoiled.

Seafood Paella with clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, calamari and lobster
Homemade buttermilk waffles with strawberries and homemade whipped cream

Panko-crusted crab cakes with cornbread, avocado tartar sauce and fresh salad

Homemade Sangria- filled with alcohol and deadly

Rustic bread- this bread took forever. Two different components and lots of rising.

Homemade chicken soup with kreplach (dumplings filled with beef)

Veal Chop (pounded, breaded, fried) covered in fontina cheese and lemon-sherry sauce. Homegrown turnips roasted with carrots and mashed potatoes.

Cheesecake- with a ganache crust

My Mom always serves everything fancy.


1 comment:

  1. wowza. every pic. every plate. amazing.
    and filled with love! how awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips